Thomson Geer is a large Australian corporate law firm. It has around 500 people, including 97 Partners operating out of offices in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide. By size, it is one of the 10 largest law firms in Australia.
Its clients are principally spread across 3 classifications:
- ASX Top 200: Thomson Geer works closely with, and is retained regularly by, 10+ ASX Top 200 corporations whose industry coverage includes banking, construction, entertainment & media, oil & gas, telecommunications, and transport & logistics.
- Major Global Foreign Corporations: Thomson Geer provides regular representation to the Australian interests of 10+ major global foreign corporations. These corporations operate principally in the agricultural investment, building materials, household & healthcare products, life sciences, mining equipment and motor vehicles sectors and are controlled out of Britain, Western & Central Europe, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United States.
- ASX Mid and Small Caps/Government Enterprises/Large and Medium Private Corporations: 40+ ASX Listed Corporations, 10+ Government enterprises and 50+ large and medium private corporations regularly retain Thomson Geer for legal advisory, transactional or dispute assignments. Key industry coverage of these client classes include aviation, finance, food, gaming and leisure, healthcare, mining & resources, private equity, property development and wealth management.
Thomson Geer is regularly engaged on challenging and complex work. Recent examples include its mergers & acquisition team acting on a A$900 million agribusiness sale and its intellectual property lawyers successfully defending right up to the Australian High Court, a landmark internet copyright test case launched by a consortium of Hollywood Movie Studios.
Additionally, Thomson Geer also conducts day to day activities across the Australian economy. For example, recently its:
- banking team has advised on 5+ A$100 million+ financing facilities principally in connection with construction projects;
- equity capital markets team has worked on 20+ ASX capital raising assignments;
- gaming and leisure industry specialists have been involved in 5+ development projects with combined project values in excess of A$500 million;
- healthcare team has advised on research facility/hospital/retirement village development projects with a combined value in excess of A$650 million;
- property and development team has been working on property transactions with a combined value of A$2 billion+; and
- private equity and m&a lawyers have executed 15+ transactions with an average value of A$100 million+.
In parallel with all of the above project work, its dispute resolution, industrial relations, intellectual property and tax teams are retained continuously on advisory and dispute assignments in their areas of expertise by the above described client classes.