The Director of Industry Careers is the head of the Industry portfolio. This portfolio is responsible for keeping students informed and up to date with the state of the legal industry outside the traditional pathways of commercial firms.
In particular, the industry portfolio must serve the student body by making available resources and information for the pathways that can be taken that will lead into the legal industry beyond the clerkship graduate program path utilized by commercial firms.
The industry portfolio is the youngest portfolio in the DLSS but is also one with the most unrealized potential. The exact structure of the portfolio’s operation is largely at the discretion of the Director, in consort with the President and rest of the executive.
The industry portfolio’s areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to;
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Personal Injury
- Judges Associates
- Government positions
- In-house legal services
- Non-legal positions
- Producing up to date publications of various industry sectors
- Organizing and successfully staging Industry Careers Events
- Attending Career events run external to Deakin University, as a representative of the DLSS Exploring new options for sponsorship and partnership with firms and professionals from Industry
- Ensuring the student body are informed of career opportunities in industry sectors via DLSS communication methods such as the DLSS website, Facebook page and other means deemed effective
- Leading and collaborating with the (Industry) Officers
- Attending committee meetings
- Attending all DLSS events
- Acting in accordance with DLSS constitution
- Checking DLSS emails regularly
Undertaking this role is a significant time commitment, although the exact extent of the commitment will vary depending on initiatives running and the rime of the year. Expect to commit an average of 10 to 15 hours per week dependent on the number of DLSS related events occurring.